CARICOM REGIONAL ORGANISATION FOR STANDARDS AND QUALITY (CROSQ)
Technical Assistant Programme for Sustainable Energy in the Caribbean (TAPSEC)
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The CARICOM Regional Organisation for Standards and Quality (CROSQ) is an intergovernmental organisation which was established in February 2002 under the revised Treaty of Chaguaramus. CROSQ is mandated to develop and/or harmonise a regional total quality infrastructure (standards and technical regulations, conformity assessment, metrology and accreditation). The Organisation’s objectives are to:
- Facilitate trade
- Enhance efficiency in the production and delivery of goods and services;
- Improve quality of goods and services traded within the Community and with third states; and
- Protect consumers and the environment
In November of 2018 CROSQ was successful in obtaining approval from the Council for trade and Economic Development (COTED) for the CARICOM Regional Energy Efficiency Building Code (CREEBC) which was developed through support from the GIZ Regional Energy and Energy Efficiency Technical Assistance (REETA) Programme and the CARICOM Energy Unit. The CREEBC is meant to meet the specific needs of nations in the Caribbean and other countries with tropical climates and will help Member States improve the energy efficiency of their buildings and support energy conservation efforts.
CROSQ is currently in the process of establishing a harmonised regional pilot energy efficiency labelling scheme for household electrical appliances (refrigerators, air conditioners and lighting equipment) and is currently working with four member states – Saint Lucia, Belize, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago (through a piloting phase) in an effort to make fully operational a successful scheme which will be implemented throughout the region. As part of this scheme energy efficiency labelling standards with minimum energy performance standards for domestic appliances will inform the specifications of a regional label which will be affixed to these appliances at the point of retail. A testing framework to include development of testing laboratories in Jamaica (air conditioners and refrigerators) and Trinidad (lighting equipment), eventual development of a data base to share testing results and development of mutual recognition agreement with international laboratories will also be established to ensure compliance to the standards.
In November 2019 CROSQ received support from the Technical Assistance Programme for Sustainable Energy in the Caribbean (TAPSEC), which is jointly funded by the European Union (EU), under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF 11), and the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The TAPSEC is being implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ), with support from the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretariat and the Ministry of Energy and Mines (MEM) of the Dominican Republic.
The main responsibility of the PA will be to support the CROSQ TAPSEC Project Co-ordinator (PC) in organizational matters and to perform all other related administrative duties upon request that contributes to the project objective.
The Project Assistant is expected to execute the following activities:
- Preparing and dispatching project-related correspondence to other agencies.
- Assisting in the compilation, preparation and dissemination of project reports and papers as required.
- Facilitating project-related functions and/or events undertaken by the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) including activities not limited to registrations, coordination of participant travel and accommodations, preparation of materials, manuals and database management.
- Performing operational support activities for the PIU.
- Providing administrative/secretarial support for the CROSQ Project Coordinator and PIU as required.
- Editing correspondence from dictation or from knowledge of established organisation policies.
- Preparing, transcribing, composing, typing, editing and distributing agendas and/or minutes of meetings.
- Scheduling and coordinating meetings, events, interviews, appointments, and other similar activities for supervisors, which may include coordinating travel arrangements inclusive of:
- booking of hotels, air tickets
- arranging transportation if required
- discussing and drafting the agenda
- preparing list of participants
- distributing all information related to the visits
- Prepare contracts for consultants
- Calculation of daily allowances according to GIZ regulations
- Performing basic information gathering of monitoring data for the purpose of analysis and the preparation of reports.
- Establishing, maintaining and updating files, databases and records, and/or other documents.
- Assisting with following up on the progress of contracted activities and ensuring compliance with funding agency procedures
- Supporting activities implemented to include procurement of training material
- Close coordination in planning process with associated parties.
- Support Project Coordinator in preparation of representation and visibility activities
- Performing such other reasonable duties as may be assigned by the CROSQ PC.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
- Advanced secretarial and/or administrative certification
- CXC English and Mathematics
- Minimum of three years’ project administration experience
- Events Planning/Coordination
- Key Competencies
- Certification in Project Administration would be an asset.
- Strong knowledge of office procedures and practice
- Computer literacy, with strong proficiency in Microsoft Office including working knowledge of MS Project Management
- Excellent keyboarding skills
- Excellent verbal and written English; working knowledge of another regional language, in particular Spanish, is an asset
- Knowledge of basic accounting and/or event budgeting
- Good organization and priority management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with groups of diverse individuals.
Reporting Relationship: Project Coordinator, CROSQ TAPSEC Project
Positions Supervised: None